[Openvas-discuss] OpenVAS still has its own port discovery service? And which is the right switch to add nmap?

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Thu Aug 9 17:59:29 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 04:45:04PM +0100, Matthew Mundell wrote:
> > Where did things go from there? Are there still two different port/service
> > discovery mechanisms - the inherited one plus nmap (if configured for it)?
>
> Yes, there are a few port scanners.  They are in the "Port Scanners" family
> of the config.  The default before nmap was "OpenVAS TCP scanner".  This
> should still work.

Thanks. OpenVAS TCP Scanner does work.

Now that there's a working TCP port scan, there are these complaints:

  DIRB could not be found in your system path.
  OpenVAS was unable to execute DIRB and to perform the scan you
  requested.
  Please make sure that DIRB is installed and is
  available in the PATH variable defined for your environment.

  Arachni could not be found in your system path.
  OpenVAS was unable to execute Arachni and to perform the scan you
  requested.
  Please make sure that Arachni is installed and that arachni is
  available in the PATH variable defined for your environment.

  Nikto could not be found in your system path.
  OpenVAS was unable to execute Nikto and to perform the scan you
  requested.
  Please make sure that Nikto is installed and that nikto.pl or nikto is
  available in the PATH variable defined for your environment.

The only nikto instances on the system, for example, are:

  /usr/local/var/cache/openvas/nikto.nasl.nvti
  /usr/local/var/cache/openvas/GSHB/GSHB_nikto.nasl.nvti
  /usr/local/var/lib/openvas/plugins/nikto.nasl
  /usr/local/var/lib/openvas/plugins/nikto.nasl.asc
  /usr/local/var/lib/openvas/plugins/GSHB/GSHB_nikto.nasl
  /usr/local/var/lib/openvas/plugins/GSHB/GSHB_nikto.nasl.asc

None of those are just "nikto" or "nikto.pl". Similarly with the others. Are
these just items turned on in the scan config that expect programs to exist
locally that aren't there? So if I want to, say, set up other admins here to
run informative tests without noise like that I've got to run enough configs
against enough ranges to identify all the loose ends like that?

And I'd love to know where to go to repress the "Information About the Scan"
section that just lists a page-worth of all the port numbers scanned. That
would be far less clutter not listed per IP, just per total scan.

Whit