[Openvas-discuss] Installing on Ubuntu 12.04 - openvas.org instructions flawed?

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Sun Jun 17 22:33:45 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 02:46:06PM -0500, William Scott Lockwood III wrote:

> I agree, they could use some work, and you do have to know what you're
> doing, but I tried to get OpenVAS working in Ubuntu for a month. It
> only took me a week with BackTrack.

Ah, it still took a week! It shouldn't take more than an hour.
Frustrating....

The competition, Nessus, installs and runs right away. Now, it's a poorly
designed product overall that throws really dumb false positives. And to use
it for an IP block of any size requires the paid version, which might make
sense if it were a better product. Or might still make sense if OpenVAS is
buggy on _all_ platforms. But I'm guessing OpenVAS just works in at least
one context, and that the Ubuntu (and perhaps Debian?) versions are just
quick toss-offs that should never have been done if they weren't going to be
done right. So the trick is ... what's the distro in which OpenVAS just
works?

Best,
Whit