[Openvas-discuss] v4 installation help:

imipak imipak at gmail.com
Mon May 21 17:00:33 CEST 2012

Hi,

I've been trying to install v4 on Fedora. It installs, all components start
properly. I can't use the automatic installer because the target system is
in a heavily firewalled production environment. However I've manually
installed the packages. I've used (adapted) the steps given for Debian
installs at http://openvas.org/install-packages-v4.html :

test -e /var/lib/openvas/CA/cacert.pem  || openvas-mkcert -q
openvas-nvt-sync
test -e /var/lib/openvas/users/om || openvas-mkcert-client -n om -i
/etc/init.d/openvas-manager stop
/etc/init.d/openvas-scanner stop
openvassd
openvasmd --migrate
openvasmd --rebuild
killall openvassd
sleep 15
/etc/init.d/openvas-scanner start
/etc/init.d/openvas-manager start
/etc/init.d/openvas-administrator restart
/etc/init.d/greenbone-security-assistant restart
test -e /var/lib/openvas/users/admin || openvasad -c add_user -n admin -r Admin

I've manually downloaded and unpacked the latest NVTs package. All
components seem to start up reasonably happily. However neither the links
text-mode browser or Firefox can raise the login page: it hangs forever.
Moving GSAD to another port gets a the login page, but nothing happens
after hitting the "login" button.

The only suggestive thing in the /var/log/openvas/... logs is this, from
openvasmd.log:

     lib  auth:WARNING:2012-05-21 14h47.43 utc:23422: Authentication
configuration could not be loaded.

Tjhere are also a ton of TLS errors:

     Failed to gnutls_bye: Error in the push function

....and:

    md   main:WARNING:2012-05-21 14h39.02 utc:23352: read_from_server:
failed to read from server: A TLS packet with unexpected length was
received.

The GSD thick client (both the Linux and Windows versions) show a login
dialog, but again nothing happens when I click the login button. (I'm
trying to login as admin, but there's no password defined for that account
which is a bit puzzling?)

The openvas-check-setup script says everything's installed and working
properly. (check script log appended below.)

I'm obviously missing something really simple, but I've been tearing my
hair out for days trying to work out what it could be, or what I could have
missed.

Thanks in advance...

-imipak

--