[Openvas-discuss] OpenVAS installation stops working after a crash

João Jerónimo j_j_b_o_devel at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 12:13:55 CEST 2015

On 15-07-2015 10:25, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 15.07.2015 um 11:16 schrieb João Jerónimo:
>> It is a VirtualBox VM which had 2GB of RAM. Now I changed the VM memory
>> to 4GB and the problem persists.
>> It was in fact possible that the problem was RAM-related, because just
>> before the crash occured I was editing the task (it is an alterable
>> task) to run over all the 35 IPs of my task in parallel. However, the
>> RAM increase didn't solve the problem
>
> 35 IPs in parallel is way too much, likely even for 4 GB
Hello again,

Yeah... I think some important thing did in fact get terminated by the
oom-killer. /var/log/syslog had some lines saying "openvasmd invoked
oom-killer", and the redis log also contains some warning lines about
that being a risk. Plus, the virtual machine has no swap. Unfortunately
I just typoed one command in the shell and deleted the log while trying
to copy it to another location so I can't post it here. :-)

However, the main question is: why the hell did the openvas installation
get bricked just because one of the processes was killed, and how can I
recover from this without reinstalling the whole guest OS? Isn't it the
job of openvas-check-setup to find this kind of problems?

João Jerónimo