[Openvas-discuss] feeds no diff upgrades?

Michael Wiegand michael.wiegand at greenbone.net
Wed Aug 23 14:04:24 CEST 2017

* Hans [23. Aug 2017]:
> I just wondered, why old feeds from 2009 and so on are still different so that
> they are downloaded again. I would expect, changes only happen to newer feeds,
> let's say 2017 or maybe 2016, but not prior.

Normally these are changes to upstream source files at e.g. NIST which
are propagate through our feeds.

As you can see (for example) at https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/data-feeds
changes to the yearly files happen quite often, even years after their
initial publication.

From my experience these changes are often quite small (as you observed
in the delta) and happen for a variety of reasons.

As to whether these changes add substantial amounts of new information
would be another discussion; ultimately it is the upstream data provider
who makes the changes at their own discretion.

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Wiegand |  Greenbone Networks GmbH  |  http://www.greenbone.net/
Neumarkt 12,  49074 Osnabrück,  Germany   |   AG Osnabrück,  HR B 202460