[Openvas-discuss] Questions on distributed Setup

Frieder Schlesier fschlesier at gk-software.com
Mon Apr 23 14:21:48 CEST 2018

Hi folks,

we are trying to set up an infrastructure with multiple scanner-slaves
in different locations and one central GVM+GSA. Also we want to use
Postgres as DB Backend.

So far, a few questions came up:

1) Is it possible to run the Postgres on a different machine than
GVM+GSA? If yes: how? I was not able to find a definite place for
configuration :(
So far I found a couple mentions of psql and sqlite calls in source code
and some wrapper scripts. Depending on the current stance about this
topic in the community, we are willing to share our solution with you
all. If you are interested ;-)

2) As far as I understand, openvas-scanner needs a redis-service and
access to (a local) NVT database. Does it also require connection to
SCAP and CERT data or (probably in our case) the central Postgres?

3) I found a couple tutorials online, how to set up openvas9 with
postgres. Sadly those all mention the "migrate-to-postgres" script,
which (afaik) require a running setup with SQLite. Is it also possible
to setup openvas9 using postgres without having to build the sqlite
version beforehand? Any vage hints?

Thanks in advance :)

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Frieder Schlesier
IT-Service
GK Software SE
Waldstraße 7 | 08261 Schöneck | Germany
www.gk-software.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Registered Office of the Company: Waldstr. 7 | 08261 Schöneck | Germany
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Uwe Ludwig
Vorstand/Management Board: Rainer Gläß (CEO), Andre Hergert
Amtsgericht Chemnitz HRB 31501 / Commercial Register Chemnitz HRB 31501