[Openvas-distro] Debian freezes and OpenVAS not fully integrated.

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Mon Aug 4 10:10:50 CEST 2008

On Montag, 4. August 2008, Jan Wagner wrote:
> On Friday 01 August 2008 09:56, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > Unfortunately not even openvas-libnasl did make it. We have only
> > openvas-client and openvas-libraries in Debian.
> > Thus Debian will continue to ship Nessus instead of OpenVAS and drive
> > people into a proprietary direction :-(
>
> The point is, the timeframe for the freeze was well known. So whole problem is
> based on the timeframe of maintainers in relationship with sponsors. No need
> to blame the debian project for that fact.

I did not blame Debian.

> Anyways ... we can try to work on the packages as well into experimental (and
> so going through NEW) and when lenny is released, reupload them into unstable
> and let them migrate to testing. As far as they are there, I'm able to upload
> the packages to backports.org (lenny-backports), which shouldn't such a big
> thing at all.

yes, we should continue with the .deb packaging. Once in Debian unstable it
is also quite easy to get them over to Ubuntu an their next release which probably
happens earlier than the release that follows Lenny.
Debian backports will help as well.

So, how to proceed from here? There is openvas-libnasl 1.0.0-6 in the NEW section for 2 weeks now.
Is it stalled or will the ftp master pick it up eventually and migrate it to unstable?