[Openvas-distro] Feedback for RC1

Michael Wiegand michael.wiegand at intevation.de
Mon Dec 8 16:15:19 CET 2008

* Stephan Kleine [ 6. Dec 2008]:
> Hello.
>
> In RC1 the -g flag is correctly added to the compilation flags in
> openvas-client. Thanks for this.
>
> Openvas-libraries still has the same flaws: the library files are
> still incorrectly named without explicitly calling "libtoolize
> --force" and using that lets the build fail on openSUSE 11.1 & Factory
> (without that it builds but the files are incorrectly named).
>
> Openvas-libnasl still doesn't build with "--disable-static" as
> configure option (same error as on beta2).
>
> IMHO a release candidate not only consists of functionality but should
> also imply that the code can be build without any stunts in the .spec
> files, which is currently not the case. Therefore it would be great if
> you could fix the above for RC2.

Stephan, thank you for your feedback! I agree that this situation is
unfortunate. I have looked into this issue and I think this is mainly
caused by the way the OpenVAS build system is set up at the moment.

As far as I understand your mail, these issues do not break
functionality, but rather force more or less ugly workarounds, correct?

Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the experience right now to
propose a good solution to this problem, so I really would appreciate
any patches or suggestions as to how this issue could be solved.

I'm crossposting this to -devel, there are probably some folks more
knowledgeable regarding the build process than myself.

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Wiegand |  OpenPGP key: D7D049EC  |  http://www.intevation.de/