[Skencil-devel] Join forces for skencil1/sK1? (was: [Skencil-users] sK1)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sun Nov 19 14:00:10 CET 2006

Hi Igor,

On Saturday 11 November 2006 15:19, Igor Novikov wrote:
> GTK migration wasn't a main fork cause.

I have chatted a bit with Bernhard (Herzog) and my idea was:
Why not join forces on a tcl/tk based Skencil1/sK1 development?
Bernhard's initial reaction was quite positive.

The main common interest is that Skencil has been not seen
much development in the last years and applications like inkscape
have drawn more attention from the users and developers community.
The stability and design of the Skencil tcl/tk version shows that
there is a place for such an application and the GTK port has never
reached a usable state.
Skencil/sK1 is still a strong application,
so joining forces would help to grow the community.
Packaging and documentation efforts would be reduced and all this.

We can offer a development plattform based on a free software (gforge),
hosted by Intevation with trackers, svn. mailinglists and more.
See https://wald.intevation.org/projects/skencil

Personally I am quite open regarding the name, maybe sK1 would even
be the better one, given that it resembles Skencil1 closely enough.

> In 2003 before Orange Revolution
> Microsoft initiated in Ukraine hard software legacy inspections across
> printing firms and we were forced quickly migrate on Linux. Sketch
> 0.6.15was selected as a most useful software to substitute CorelDRAW
> (ai and cmx
> import was a most impotant point). The codebase was slightly extended
> (resize, rotate, move dialogs etc.). User interface was adopted to usual
> Corel layout: http://sk1.sf.net/screenshots/sk1.png

We have wondered why the fork has happened in the first place without
some more communication from your side.
As Bernhard H. was open for more patches and
to consider the development strategy as well.
The changes up to 0.6.17 (and the upcoming 0.6.18) should be interesting
for your as well.

So what do you think about the general idea?

Best Regards,
Bernhard (R.)

--
Managing Director - Owner, www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
Germany Coordinator, fsfeurope.org       (Non-Profit Org for Free Software)