[Skencil-devel] Skencil build issues in modern environment

Adam Williamson awilliamson at mandriva.com
Thu May 3 11:10:44 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-05 at 11:02 +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Thursday 03 May 2007 10:42, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > > There has been a patch fixing a 64bit problem two days ago:
> > > http://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/skencil/branches/sk
> > >encil-0.6/Pax/fontobject.c?root=skencil&rev=694&r1=686&r2=694
> >
> > Yes, that's in my package (it's SVN rev 695).
> Very good, I was only making this sure.
> > >
> > > Yes, this is all very interesting!
> > > We need to incoporate your changes in the Skencil codebase
> > > (and help with this is appreciated).
> >
> > I'm not qualified for that, I'm not a coder at all :) I just try to make
> > the stuff build.
> Most of the changes you have made are for the build code
> which is part of the code base. We just have to separate the generel
> improvements from the Mandriva specific ones.

I feel that the changes I do are hacks, not genuine solutions. From what
I've seen, the build system Skencil uses is rather old, and I suspect if
you look at what is available in python 2.5 or what is used by other
modern python apps, it would include much more robust fixes for the same

> > I forgot to mention some other things in my mail...we have the
> following
> > two workarounds in the spec, too, they pre-date my changes:
> As I said, we could add the mandriva specs to the Skencil repository,
> but I know that you already maintain them in your SCM, so it might
> not be necessary. So we only need to extract which of your changes
> are interesting for all Skencil users/builders.

I feel at least the first workaround indicates a problem with Skencil:
the Skencil build process is doing something wrong to actually write the
buildroot directories into the generated files. Generally speaking, with
a good build system, this kind of workaround in a spec file is not
necessary. I'm sorry I'm not a hacker and so can't tell you what the
build process is doing wrong :(