[Skencil-devel] Skencil build issues in modern environment

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri May 4 10:24:54 CEST 2007

On Thursday 03 May 2007 11:10, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I feel that the changes I do are hacks, not genuine solutions.

Some of the changes seem just to be fine, e.g. like adding a new tcl/tk
version to the list or an X.org fontpath.

With the path of the installation, Bernhard Herzog told me that
he deliberately did not place it under site-packages because there is
not good versioning and Skencil is a full blown application and not merely
a library. Python's distutils seem to be mainly for libraries which Skencil
is not. Is there a comparable user application in Python in Mandriva
that we could inspect to see where they place it?

There is the idea to be able to install more than one version of Skencil
and call them separately. Using a subdirectory seems prudent to me.

> From what I've seen,
> the build system Skencil uses is rather old, and I suspect if
> you look at what is available in python 2.5 or what is used by other
> modern python apps, it would include much more robust fixes for the same
> issues.

We have to inquire about the lib64 things
and see what more modern distutils would actually help with.

> I feel at least the first workaround indicates a problem with Skencil:
> the Skencil build process is doing something wrong to actually write the
> buildroot directories into the generated files. Generally speaking, with
> a good build system, this kind of workaround in a spec file is not
> necessary. I'm sorry I'm not a hacker and so can't tell you what the
> build process is doing wrong :(

Yes, this looks like a defect in the build process somewhere.
Thanks a lot for your hints and opinions, this is quite useful and
hey it makes you a hacker even if you are not a hard-core coder! ;)