[Skencil-devel] Question about skencil

Marc Bogonovich mbogonov at indiana.edu
Wed Aug 13 20:12:12 CEST 2008

I have a question about skencil. I have two main needs. 1) I need to
produce vector graphs in which the geometrical relationships of objects
(points, circles, lines, connected line) are specified by input data.
(that is basically what a graph is, but I need to make custom graphs
because my research involves making new kinds of visual representations
of data) 2) I also need to determine the x and y values of vertices of
polygons drawn in a vector format, in an automated way, so that these
values can be ported into a different system, specifically a GIS
(geographical information software).

I have done some programming in perl, but am unaware of how to do these
two things in perl or anything else. essentially I am looking to read
and write information from and to vector graphics, You say that skencil
is unusual as a vector program because it is based on a high level
computer language, python, so does that mean I could learn this
programming language and do the two things I mentioned above?

I appreciate your time in answering the question,

Marc

--
Marc Bogonovich                                    phone: (812) 855-7804
Department of Biology                              FAX:   (812) 855-6705