[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 01:56:43 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 9. November 2010 04:03:38 schrieb Igor Novikov:
> > So on first milestone we just
> > announce a project rebirth
>
> Yes, this is wonderful!
>
> > but on next step we should selecting a correct
> > strategy for further project development.
>
> > On my opinion Skencil has potential marketplace as a small, fast and
> > lightweight editor only.
>
> I agree that can be a viable marketplace.
>
> > Porting on Gtk widgetset is more preferable because:
>
> I slightly tend to disagree, but of course this is open for discussion and
> the
> people doing the work have a higher weight than me. I'd rather have a GTK
> Skencil then no Skencil. ;)
>
> > 1.Most popular distros (Ubuntu & Mint) use GNOME as desktop environment.
>
> But Qt applications already run fine there.
>
> > 2.Gtk widgetset provides extra fast application start in GNOME DE (it's
> > important for lightweight editor)
>
> Qt can be quite lightweight and it as a very good reputation on embedded
> system and good backing of large corporations (Nokia).
>
> > 3.C language based Gtk is closer to Python native extensions than C++
> based
> > Qt.
>
> Python is more object oriented, this usually fits Qt well.
>
> > 4.This way simplifies win32 porting. Actually even for win32 simple
> vector
> > graphics editor is also usefult.
>
> Qt has better support on windows32api than GTK as far as I know.

Concerning Qt way I think you are right. I have took a look on current pyqt
and found
that it seems the binding is more powerful than pygtk. At least this issue
should be tested on
sample application under linux, win32/64 an macosx platforms. If we will
choice Qt way we should
skip cairo and use QPainter renderer. As a final result we could get
application with OpenGL
renderer (QGLWidget). The mostly interested issue is a macosx version,
because pygtk and
cairo have a bad support for this platform.

Igor Novikov
sK1 Project
http://sk1project.org