[Skencil-devel] Debian packaging removal

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:40:26 CEST 2010

> In some ways, sk1 is a successor to Skencil I guess.
> So the question is: Who needs Skencil?

We have received some user's feedback that sK1 is a complex
and heavyweight i.e. something like "Please return our simple
and lightweight Sketch!" :) I cannot estimate how much users
wish Skencil revitalizing but such requests are really.

 So the question is: Who is?
> If you are interested: What are your suggestions?

Here is a draft:

1.Bugfixing for tk8.5/tk8.6
2.Project refactoring for distutils build
3.Backport of some improvements from sK1
3.Release for ver.0.6.18
4.Fast porting on Gtk widgetset in branch 0.8.x

Details for last item: unfortunately tk widgetset is out of date.
ttk widgets are not perfect because ttk API are hidden in
conventional tcl/tk so there is no way interacting on C level
to use native themes. i.e. integration into desktop environment
is impossible. Also a lot of workarounds is required to utilize ttk in
sK1 (we have special sk1sdk package  for they). So migration on
mainstream widgetset is desirable.

Branch 0.7.x is a complex solution for this because it uses libart canvas.
I understand that it is due achieving ability to create win32 port but
more elegant way is Gtk DrawingArea usage to substitute
custom tk Widget instance. The same Xlib function calls can be used
for drawing on Gtk DrawingArea surface.

After this milestone win23 port is also possible. Xilb functionality
can be substituted by Cairo library function calls.

> Some old times like me just are used to Skencil.
> And Skencil was packaged to Debian. Hopefully sK1 also get a packages soon.

I have stopped the work because packaging for Debian is a complex issue but
during
this year we have splitted  sK1 on several packages to synchronize changes
with
UniConvertor. The work will be continue after sK1 ver.0.9.1 release. It
seems this
will be a last tk version because ver.1.0 will be Gtk based.

Igor Novikov
sK1 Project
http://sk1project.org