[Skencil-devel] Next Widgetset (Re: Revitalising Skencil )

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Sep 7 16:37:29 CEST 2010

Am Dienstag, 7. September 2010 15:37:06 schrieb Igor Novikov:
> > > After this milestone win23 port is also possible. Xilb functionality
> > > can be substituted by Cairo library function calls.
> >
> > If we are thinking so radical, we could also consider Qt4.
> > (Currently I am involved in a Qt4 to Maemo port of a large application
> > and Qt4 seems to be quite good these days.)
> > But of course I understand that your interest in Skencil is
> > because it is still very close to sk1. That is fine if keeping Skencil
> > close is bringing it developers.
>
> Major Linux distros are using Gnome environment.

I believe their are major ones using KDE as well, e.g. OpenSuse.
And almost all of them have a bunch of Qt applications coming with them.

> Almost all libre graphics applications use Gtk widgetset.

Well that depends on where you draw the line
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scribus
  http://qgis.org/
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digikam
  (an a number of other KDE applications for pixel and vector)

> The most popular distro is Ubuntu.
> So there is no sense choosing Qt4 widgetset IMHO.

There is KUbuntu, but you are right about the KDE is a second class citizen
within the Ubuntu world.

Choosing the Qt4 widget set would open up a better cross plattform
support, including the netbook, tablet and mobile space. If it was choosen
then for its technical qualities.

> > Having a package for your application is very important.
> > Especially for Debian, as this is a multiplier for several derived
> > GNU platforms. (Think Ubuntu. :) )
>
> We have own virtual build server to provide fresh snapshot packages for our
> users:
>
> http://sk1project.org/modules.php?name=Products&product=uniconvertor&op=dow
>nload
>
> By this way we can control which distro is more popular etc. This is
> possible
> due to distutils build. RPM, DEB and MSI packages are built automatically
> and we
> have possibility to test application under different platforms.

Ah, cool.
We are using http://wald.intevation.org/projects/treepkg/ to create Debian,
Maemo5 and Ubuntu Package for some of our applications at Intevation, see
http://saegewerk.intevation.org/

What I've meant of course was that sK1 would need to have a package within
Debian (or other GNU/Linux distributions). It is much easier for the users to
find and install. And the binaries will be more trusted.

Best,

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.