[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil (Re: Debian packaging removal)

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 15:37:06 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 7. September 2010 13:40:26 schrieb Igor Novikov:
>
> > > If you are interested: What are your suggestions?
> >
> > Here is a draft:
> >
> > 1.Bugfixing for tk8.5/tk8.6
> > 2.Project refactoring for distutils build
> > 3.Backport of some improvements from sK1
> > 3.Release for ver.0.6.18
>
> Sounds all good. What do you need from me?
> I can give your folks development acccess.
> Just register on wald and let me know the ids.

I have registered on wald. My username: igor_n
All changes will be mine because I would like to escape development troubles
and therefore to control all commits.

> > After this milestone win23 port is also possible. Xilb functionality
> > can be substituted by Cairo library function calls.
>
> If we are thinking so radical, we could also consider Qt4.
> (Currently I am involved in a Qt4 to Maemo port of a large application
> and Qt4 seems to be quite good these days.)
> But of course I understand that your interest in Skencil is
> because it is still very close to sk1. That is fine if keeping Skencil
> close is bringing it developers.

Major Linux distros are using Gnome environment. Almost all libre graphics
applications use Gtk widgetset. The most popular distro is Ubuntu.
So there is no sense choosing Qt4 widgetset IMHO.

> Having a package for your application is very important.
> Especially for Debian, as this is a multiplier for several derived
> GNU platforms. (Think Ubuntu. :) )

We have own virtual build server to provide fresh snapshot packages for our
users:

http://sk1project.org/modules.php?name=Products&product=uniconvertor&op=download

By this way we can control which distro is more popular etc. This is
possible
due to distutils build. RPM, DEB and MSI packages are built automatically
and we
have possibility to test application under different platforms.

Igor Novikov
sK1 Project
http://sk1project.org