[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil (Re: Debian packaging removal)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Sep 8 10:04:42 CEST 2010

Am Dienstag, 7. September 2010 18:04:05 schrieb Igor Novikov:
> > > Not necessary, 0.6.17 is tagged, just go at the skencil-0.6 branch.
> >
> > Well "store all old sources unmodified" sounds a bit scary, although it's
> > not clear to me what that might mean exactly.

(I believe Bernhard just fears that somebody will reformat or refactor
the sources to a large degree. However I find that suitable for any person
that likes to push Skencil forward. On the other hand, if you make diffs
readable by Bernhard, he might read them and give his knowledge. So do what
you believe is best.)

> If we create a copy of
> skencil-0.6/<http://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/skencil/
>branches/skencil-0.6/?root=skencil> as a skencil-0.6.18/ we provide an easy
> access
> to ver.0.6.17 for users which prefer SVN version of application.

People that want to check out 0.6.17 can still do this with svn
via the following tag:
https://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/skencil/tags/skencil-0.6.17/?root=skencil

If in the future, we need a new tag, we could still branch at that point
later. But currently Igor, you (and your folks) are the only developers,
so you should use the main branch in my view as this is the only official
Skencil progress.

> If such branching style is not suitable for the project so I can commit all
> changes into skencil-0.6/

My writing above is just a suggestion, it is up to you, if you like to work in
a branch, you can of course do so. Given that the old tags already are called
0.6.17 and so on, I would not call a working branch 0.6.18 right now, to avoid
possible confusion, but again, this is just a suggestion and you can do so,
if you like. :)

> > Anyway, if the changes to 06
> > branch are done in such a way that it's possible to follow them by
> > reading the diffs (i.e. small self-contained changes with good commit
> > messages), that
> > may be OK.  But please don't do any wholesale changes like converting all
> > indents to tabs without prior discussion.
>
> It's naturally because Skencil has own style coding conventions.

Igor, it is wonderful that you would like to help out with Skencil
development!

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.