[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil (Re: Debian packaging removal)

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 21:17:41 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>wrote:

> > > Well "store all old sources unmodified" sounds a bit scary, although
> it's
> > > not clear to me what that might mean exactly.
>
> (I believe Bernhard just fears that somebody will reformat or refactor
> the sources to a large degree. However I find that suitable for any person
> that likes to push Skencil forward. On the other hand, if you make diffs
> readable by Bernhard, he might read them and give his knowledge. So do what
> you believe is best.)
>
> > If we create a copy of
> > skencil-0.6/<
> http://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/skencil/
> >branches/skencil-0.6/?root=skencil> as a skencil-0.6.18/ we provide an
> easy
> > access
> > to ver.0.6.17 for users which prefer SVN version of application.
>
> People that want to check out 0.6.17 can still do this with svn
> via the following tag:
>
> https://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/skencil/tags/skencil-0.6.17/?root=skencil
>
> If in the future, we need a new tag, we could still branch at that point
> later. But currently Igor, you (and your folks) are the only developers,
> so you should use the main branch in my view as this is the only official
> Skencil progress.
>
> > If such branching style is not suitable for the project so I can commit
> all
> > changes into skencil-0.6/
>
> My writing above is just a suggestion, it is up to you, if you like to work
> in
> a branch, you can of course do so. Given that the old tags already are
> called
> 0.6.17 and so on, I would not call a working branch 0.6.18 right now, to
> avoid
> possible confusion, but again, this is just a suggestion and you can do so,
> if you like. :)
>
> > > Anyway, if the changes to 06
> > > branch are done in such a way that it's possible to follow them by
> > > reading the diffs (i.e. small self-contained changes with good commit
> > > messages), that
> > > may be OK.  But please don't do any wholesale changes like converting
> all
> > > indents to tabs without prior discussion.
> >
> > It's naturally because Skencil has own style coding conventions.
>
> Igor, it is wonderful that you would like to help out with Skencil
> development!
>
> Bernhard
>

> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software
> Company)
> Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Hi Bernhard!

Yes, you are right, the users can use copies from tags/ folder.
But actually we have two trunks: real trunk with 0.7.x version and
branches/skencil-0.6/ as a trunk for 0.6.x version.
And branches in tags/ folder. In my practice tags were usually used for
important project milestones
(first of all for internal development usage) but not for releases.
Of course it's just an issue of methodology no more. So let's using
skencil-0.6/ as a formal trunk.

I have tested Debian package for Skencil and found that it doesn't look like
a stable application:

http://saveimg.ru/pictures/10-09-10/a5e15398d26ba5c0850b13bc415c5857.png

So I'm starting ver.0.6.18 development iteration to fix these issues and
provide stable Skencil build for tk8.5.

First of all I'd like to note that I have no a lot of time for
investigations. Therefore to get a fast result  I will implement
the same patterns as for UniConvertor and sK1. As you know packages of these
projects have been included in all distros
and their structure and build system are result of joint work
withmaintainers of different distros. So I think this
experience is useful for Skencil revitalization.

If some issues will be not suitable we always can roll back changes. Anyway
I will comment all changes to explain they.
Working solid build will be a first step because it's a major requirement to
continue development.

Igor Novikov
sK1 Project
http://sk1project.org