[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 23:58:38 CEST 2010

Hi Bernhard!

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> Am Freitag, 10. September 2010 21:17:41 schrieb Igor Novikov:
> > Of course it's just an issue of methodology no more. So let's using
> > skencil-0.6/ as a formal trunk.
>
> cool with me. :)
>
> > I have tested Debian package for Skencil and found that it doesn't look
> > like a stable application:
> >
> > http://saveimg.ru/pictures/10-09-10/a5e15398d26ba5c0850b13bc415c5857.png
>
> Version: 0.6.17-16 works nicely for me on Debian Lenny.
>
> There were a couple of issues and Daniel Baumann, the former Debian
> packager seems to have fixed some of the in -17:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=skencil;dist=unstable
> He also wrote the package it self would be in a good state,
> but I haven't tried in Squeeze myself.

It's not a problem solution. Patches from packagers are sometime
unsuccessful.
I have tested Skencil 0.6.17 under Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 It seems the fixes
are not suitable.

I have finished a draft of Skencil distutils build. Here is a my local SVN
snapshot:

http://sk1project.org/downloads/skencil/skencil-0.6.18-proposal.tar.gz

As requested by Bernhard Herzog, I would like to agree on changes in the
project structure.
If all the changes are suitable I will commit they step-by-step. The build
is workable but
some additional issues should be fixed (bdist_deb command, translation build
etc.)

Proposed changes resolve several issues:

1.Simple and stable distutils build (i.e. we can provide packages for users
releasing 0.6.18
and such build highly simplifies packaging issues for maintainers)
2.Source code is separated from other files
3.Proposed source code structure allows launching Skencil using SVN copy
4.Application becomes regular Python 'skencil' package
5.Soft link for Skencil launch script is substituted by small conventional
python script in /usr/bin

As has been mentioned before the next global task is indentation. Following
picture
explains why:

http://saveimg.ru/pictures/16-09-10/b9946b1a266990760a5fe4ab8c85723f.png

Yellow marks on right side and warning signs on left are places of mixed
indentation. So a half of
code lines has been involved in the problem (tkext.py is not an exception
but rather a good example).
There is no difference between tabs or spaces but mixed indentation should
be removed anyway.
If spaces are better for Skencil code style I will reformat the code using
spaces in indents
(for example 4 spaces per indent).

Igor Novikov
sK1 Project