[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Sep 16 09:41:53 CEST 2010

Moin Igor,

Am Mittwoch, 15. September 2010 23:58:38 schrieb Igor Novikov:
'
 On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Bernhard Reiter
<bernhard at intevation.de>wrote:

> > Version: 0.6.17-16 works nicely for me on Debian Lenny.
> >
> > There were a couple of issues and Daniel Baumann, the former Debian
> > packager seems to have fixed some of the in -17:
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=skencil;dist=unstable
> > He also wrote the package it self would be in a good state,
> > but I haven't tried in Squeeze myself.
>
> It's not a problem solution. Patches from packagers are sometime
> unsuccessful.
> I have tested Skencil 0.6.17 under Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 It seems the
> fixes are not suitable.

okay, can you say what the issues were?
(Just curious, if it takes too much times, just skip it. As I cannot currently
test it on those Ubuntu versions.)

> I have finished a draft of Skencil distutils build.

Sounds good.

> Here is a my local SVN
> snapshot:
>
> http://sk1project.org/downloads/skencil/skencil-0.6.18-proposal.tar.gz
>
> As requested by Bernhard Herzog, I would like to agree on changes in the
> project structure.
> If all the changes are suitable I will commit they step-by-step. The build
> is workable but
> some additional issues should be fixed (bdist_deb command, translation
> build etc.)
>
> Proposed changes resolve several issues:
>
> 1.Simple and stable distutils build (i.e. we can provide packages for users
> releasing 0.6.18
> and such build highly simplifies packaging issues for maintainers)

I am all for it.

> 2.Source code is separated from other files

A good goal in principle, do you have a list of specific changes
you are proposing?

> 3.Proposed source code structure allows launching Skencil using SVN copy

Directly? Isn't this possible already?

> 4.Application becomes regular Python 'skencil' package

What was missing here?

> 5.Soft link for Skencil launch script is substituted by small conventional
> python script in /usr/bin

Fine.

> As has been mentioned before the next global task is indentation. Following
> picture
> explains why:
>
> http://saveimg.ru/pictures/16-09-10/b9946b1a266990760a5fe4ab8c85723f.png
>
> Yellow marks on right side and warning signs on left are places of mixed
> indentation. So a half of
> code lines has been involved in the problem (tkext.py is not an exception
> but rather a good example).
> There is no difference between tabs or spaces but mixed indentation should
> be removed anyway.
> If spaces are better for Skencil code style I will reformat the code using
> spaces in indents
> (for example 4 spaces per indent).

I agree that mixed indentation should be elimated.
Indentation style I like is 4 spaces like in the python Style Guide:
http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

I also propose to call Skencil 1.0.0 after all those changes
to give an outwards signal of life.

Best,

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.