[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 16:02:51 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>wrote:

> Moin Igor,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 15. September 2010 23:58:38 schrieb Igor Novikov:
> '
>  On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Bernhard Reiter
> <bernhard at intevation.de>wrote:
>
> > > Version: 0.6.17-16 works nicely for me on Debian Lenny.
> > >
> > > There were a couple of issues and Daniel Baumann, the former Debian
> > > packager seems to have fixed some of the in -17:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=skencil;dist=unstable
> > > He also wrote the package it self would be in a good state,
> > > but I haven't tried in Squeeze myself.
> >
> > It's not a problem solution. Patches from packagers are sometime
> > unsuccessful.
> > I have tested Skencil 0.6.17 under Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 It seems the
> > fixes are not suitable.
>
> okay, can you say what the issues were?
> (Just curious, if it takes too much times, just skip it. As I cannot
> currently
> test it on those Ubuntu versions.)

Major issue is menu rebuild problem. In 2008 there were changes in Tkinter
which broke backward compatibility. Package maintainer just surround a
problem
code by "try-except" to allow launching Skencil. As a result we have
multiplied
menu items. I have fixed this issue in snapshot using direct tcl interpreter
call.
Actually you can see these changes on the same screenshot:

http://saveimg.ru/pictures/16-09-10/b9946b1a266990760a5fe4ab8c85723f.png

(problem code lines are commented)

Next issue is a correct canvas refresh while selection rectangle is drew.
It's
looks like a buggy renderer but this issue also can be easy fixed.

> > 2.Source code is separated from other files
>
> A good goal in principle, do you have a list of specific changes
> you are proposing?

1. Skencil/, Resources/, Script/ and Plugins/ are moved into src/ folder
2. Lib/ folder is eliminated and all native modules are relocated into
Skencil/Modules/ folder
3. Pixmaps/ is moved from Skencil/ into Resources/
4. Root "skencil" package is introduced
5. All native extensions source code is relocated in extensions/ folder

Also I have moved temporary old description files from root folder into
old_files/
I have left only README file because it's required for distutils. The files
should be
refactored because some of them are have no sense. For example BUGS is good
for
small console utilities but not for large application. Known bugs should be
in project
bug tracker and there is no sense exposing incomplete bug list in BUGS file.
And
the same for other files. I think Skencil project should has a more flexible

infrastructure on project web site to provide detailed info for users.

> > 3.Proposed source code structure allows launching Skencil using SVN copy
>
> Directly? Isn't this possible already?

Yes, it's possible now. Source code structure is equal to working
application.  On my computer
src/ folder is linked as a 'skencil' in $PYTHON_HOME/dist-packages/ and
skencil start script is placed
into /usr/bin That's all needed for running SVN copy. And of course compiled
native extensions
are copied into src/Sketch/Modules/ By this way we have accelerated sK1
development skipping
application build after each code modification.

Also for comfortable development SVN copy has "*.pyc, *.so" ignore patterns.

Concerning ver.1.0 I would prefer maintaining release 0.6.18 and after that
final ver.1.0 which will be
last in tk branch. Gtk port could be started as ver.1.1

So, is proposed project structure suitable? If it's OK I will start
committing.

Igor Novikov
sK1 Project
http://sk1project.org