[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Sep 22 10:39:40 CEST 2010

Am Donnerstag, 16. September 2010 16:02:51 schrieb Igor Novikov:
> > > 2.Source code is separated from other files
> >
> > A good goal in principle, do you have a list of specific changes
> > you are proposing?
>
> 1. Skencil/, Resources/, Script/ and Plugins/ are moved into src/ folder
> 2. Lib/ folder is eliminated and all native modules are relocated into
> Skencil/Modules/ folder
> 3. Pixmaps/ is moved from Skencil/ into Resources/
> 4. Root "skencil" package is introduced
> 5. All native extensions source code is relocated in extensions/ folder

I am looking at it comparing to what I see in
https://wald.intevation.org/plugins/scmsvn/viewcvs.php/skencil/branches/skencil-0.6/?root=skencil
which you are about to change, as far as I understand, right?

So you also rename "Sketch" to "Skencil"? Would be okay.
Overall it looks like a more intensive reorganisation.
As you and your team are the only active committers right now,
and if this makes you more productive: Go ahead.

> Also I have moved temporary old description files from root folder into
> old_files/
> I have left only README file because it's required for distutils. The files
> should be
> refactored because some of them are have no sense. For example BUGS is good
> for
> small console utilities but not for large application. Known bugs should be
> in project
> bug tracker and there is no sense exposing incomplete bug list in BUGS
> file. And
> the same for other files. I think Skencil project should has a more
> flexible
> infrastructure on project web site to provide detailed info for users.

I agree with some of the old files to be moved. (I have not checked them all,
but if they are old, they can go to a subdirectory of course.)

> > > 3.Proposed source code structure allows launching Skencil using SVN
> > > copy
> >
> > Directly? Isn't this possible already?
>
> Yes, it's possible now. Source code structure is equal to working
> application.  On my computer
> src/ folder is linked as a 'skencil' in $PYTHON_HOME/dist-packages/ and
> skencil start script is placed
> into /usr/bin That's all needed for running SVN copy. And of course
> compiled native extensions
> are copied into src/Sketch/Modules/ By this way we have accelerated sK1
> development skipping
> application build after each code modification.
>
> Also for comfortable development SVN copy has "*.pyc, *.so" ignore
> patterns.

I guess I am old style and would usually like to separate working source
and running installation. The "build" step was always short with Skencil,
so just personally I would have kept it. But again, you have to comfortable
and of course any developer could still keep the step. So no objections.

> Concerning ver.1.0 I would prefer maintaining release 0.6.18 and after that
> final ver.1.0 which will be
> last in tk branch. Gtk port could be started as ver.1.1

I think the shuffling of files and the introduction of distutils
would warrant a 1.0 release right away. It still is a maintenance release,
but it would reflect the state of the software much better.

I would call a port to GTK or Qt version 2.
The problem with any major step in development is that it will not get
a lot of user support unless it is almost as good as the "stable" version
and this usually means a lot of development time.

> So, is proposed project structure suitable? If it's OK I will start
> committing.

Sorry for the delayed answer (and thanks for reminding us).
I was somehow hoping that BH would comment on it, but he did not so,
please go ahead.

Best,

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.