[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 17:06:05 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 22. September 2010 13:46:21 schrieb Igor Novikov:
> > On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Bernhard Reiter
> > > So you also rename "Sketch" to "Skencil"? Would be okay.
> > > Overall it looks like a more intensive reorganisation.
> > > As you and your team are the only active committers right now,
> > > and if this makes you more productive: Go ahead.
> >
> > OK. I will start committing today.
>
> Cool!

> after
> > >
> > > that

> > > I think the shuffling of files and the introduction of distutils
> > > would warrant a 1.0 release right away. It still is a maintenance
> > > release, but it would reflect the state of the software much better.
> > >
> > > I would call a port to GTK or Qt version 2.
> > > The problem with any major step in development is that it will not get
> > > a lot of user support unless it is almost as good as the "stable"
> version
> > > and this usually means a lot of development time.
> >
> > It's not a problem. But if we are going to announce 1.0 version we should
> > polishing UI and functionality before release but not only project
> > revitalizing.
> > I think this will take ~1 month. So Skencil release will be possible at
> > the end of October.
>
> Fine with me. One month is not going to change much I guess.
> (Reintroduction of the package in Debian Squeeze would be cool, but I don#t
> know if this still is possible and what would be needed to be done for it.)

I would prefer a more ambitious goal: to fix Skencil for tk8.5/8.6 and
provide
packages for all recent versions of all popular distros. Some distributive
use
tk8.5/8.6 as default version (for example, Mandriva has tk8.6b1 as default).
Also for 1.0 version it would be great to improve slightly Skencil UI
(may be using Ttk widgets) because default tk Motif style looks really ugly.

At the same time I see a possible Skencil "market place" as a lightweight
and
simple vector graphics editor without overheads like color management,
alpha channel etc. because all these features highly decrease rendering
speed.

So, what you think about Skencil revitalizing announce in Internet? It seems
skencil-users subscribe is dead so this announce could be placed on
opensource
news sites.

Igor Novikov
sK1 Project