[Skencil-devel] Revitalising Skencil

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Sep 22 18:14:06 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, 22. September 2010 17:06:05 schrieb Igor Novikov:
> > > It's not a problem. But if we are going to announce 1.0 version we
> > > should polishing UI and functionality before release but not only
> > > project revitalizing.
> > > I think this will take ~1 month. So Skencil release will be possible at
> > > the end of October.
> >
> > Fine with me. One month is not going to change much I guess.
> > (Reintroduction of the package in Debian Squeeze would be cool, but I
> > don#t know if this still is possible and what would be needed to be done
> > for it.)
>
> I would prefer a more ambitious goal: to fix Skencil for tk8.5/8.6 and
> provide
> packages for all recent versions of all popular distros.

That would be cool of course, but having native packages from within the
distribution is gold, especially if the distribution is a multiplier
like Debian.

> Some distributive
> use
> tk8.5/8.6 as default version (for example, Mandriva has tk8.6b1 as
> default). Also for 1.0 version it would be great to improve slightly
> Skencil UI (may be using Ttk widgets) because default tk Motif style looks
> really ugly.
>
> At the same time I see a possible Skencil "market place" as a lightweight
> and
> simple vector graphics editor without overheads like color management,
> alpha channel etc. because all these features highly decrease rendering
> speed.

All Cool.

> So, what you think about Skencil revitalizing announce in Internet? It
> seems skencil-users subscribe is dead so this announce could be placed on
> opensource
> news sites.

IMO we should choose timing and message carefully and best is if we have first
results because this would clearly make a viable message.
We should notify users, though I guess.

Best,

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.