[Skencil-users] problem with sk2ps and skconvert

Christian Schneider chschneider at freenet.de
Thu Aug 10 21:59:34 CEST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 10. August 2006 18:22 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> Am Samstag, 5. August 2006 21:41 schrieb Christian Schneider:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just tried the command line tools sk2ps and skconvert to
> > convert an Adobe Illustrator file to EPS/PDF. The AI file can be
> > opened with skencil (0.6.16 under SuSE 9.3), it can be edited and
> > saved as EPS or PDF without any problems. Unfortunatly, converting
> > the file on the command line does not work (neither under SuSE 9.3
> > with skencil 0.6.16 or 0.6.17 nor under Kubuntu with skencil
> > 0.6.15).
> >
> > I tried commands like
> >
> > sk2ps test.ai test.ps
> > skconvert test.ai test.pdf
> >
> > The output is attached to this e-mail.
> >
> > I do not think that this problem is related to the input file
> > format, as I get a long list of error messages even when trying to
> > convert a skencil file to some other format.
> >
> > Why doesn't it work?
>
> I guess that Skencil makes a best efforts and ignores recoverable
> errors. Thus it is an import and not a conversion anymore.
>
> So having skconvert cry out might be the right thing.
> Best solution would be to have an option to force the conversion
> even on errors.
> (Just wild guessing.)

I searched the web again and in a forum one suggested to change the
locale settings. My settings are LC_*="de_DE at euro" under SuSE. I tried

$ LC_ALL=C sk2ps test.ai test.eps

and everything worked well (version 0.6.16 under SuSE 9.3).

With the same trick I was able to run sk2ps under Kubuntu 6.16, but
sketch (0.6.15) still does not start (with or without changed locales).

Cheers,
Christian