[Skencil-users] installing on Mac Intel, now a segfault problem

jbiddier jbiddier at comcast.net
Thu Aug 31 12:40:44 CEST 2006

W. Craig Carter wrote:
> Hello All,
> I just posted a message either on this list
> or perhaps it was "sketch-users" about not
> being able to load the Image module in PIL. I
> solved this by getting libjpeg and zlib via
> fink and then compiling PIL myself.
>
> I recompiled and installed skencil after the
> PIL build.
>
> However, now I get a segfault when I run
> skencil and a pop-up message saying that
> python unexpectantly quit.
>
> It looks like there is a python2.3 in both
> /Libary and in /sw (one a native Mac, the
> other is installed via fink)  There is a PIL
> in both directories.  I believe that skencil
> is getting the find-installed python, but I
> am not positive about this.
>
> Thanks for any help--I'll post a clean
> solution when I can get one.
>
> Craig

I really can't help you much for I have not experimented with Skencil on
a Intel Mac, as yet (don't have such a beast available to me.).

I do have some experience dealing with multiply versions of an
interpreter installed (if that is the problem - ???). You may have
already tried this, but just in case:

When you compile Skencil use the full path of the interpreter you wish
to use. For example:

/usr/bin/python ./setup.py –imaging-include=<path to /usr python's PIL include files>

If the fink version of python is desired (may want to use real path  and not the symlink). Do the same when compiling PIL (use the full path of the python you want to run the setup.py file – if used).
Not sure how Macs deal with user start-up files like “.profile”, but however they do, you may what to put the path to the fink python before the /sw installed python path (PATH=/usr/bin:/sw:<and so on>), so it is searched first. Do this before compiling!

Also, I have had problems compiling PIL 1.1.5 and thus use 1.1.4 for I know how to “work” it better. With 1.1.4 manual configuring I can determine which paths I want PIL to see. Thought this may not be your problem, it something to think about.

The idea in summary:

1. Make sure the python you want to use is first in the search path (.profile, PATH variable – same for Mac???).
2. Make sure PIL is compiled against the python you wish to use.
3. Make sure Skencil is compiled against the python you wish to use.

You have probably done this, but just in case. Sorry I can't provide much (or more) help.

Good luck.

--J