[Skencil-users] problem installing rpm

jbiddier jbiddier at comcast.net
Tue May 16 13:57:23 CEST 2006

jim hamby wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to install the skencil rpm on my centos 4.2 i386
> Linux version 2.6.9-34.EL (buildcentos at build-i386) (gcc version 3.4.5 2005120
>
> skencil-0.6.17-6.el4.at.i386.rpm
> PIL-1.1.5-5.el4.at.i386.rpm
>
> Problem:  when the installing PIL I get a
> error: Failed dependencies:
>          python(abi) = 2.3 is needed by PIL-1.1.5-5.el4.at.i386
>
> I can't find a definition of the python(abi)
> anybody know what file this would be????
>
> Thanks
> Jim

I don't know much about CentOS to determine your problem. But I can
state some possible problems.
CentOS is RedHat based, but may have a different version of Python than
the RedHat version of the RPM you are using. It is possible that the PIL
RPM will not install on CentOS. Debian and Debian based distros have the
same problem with some DEBs.

You can check your CentOS CD for a PIL RPM for the Python you have
installed. You can also try another version of the AT RedHat PIL RPM, if
CentOS does not have a PIL RPM for Python. If that fails, you may
consider compiling PIL. If you choose that option, you can ask for help
on this list on how to do that (but, note that your CentOS particulars,
maybe different from the OSs of people on the list.).

Sorry I could not give you a clear cut solution to your problem.

--J