[Skencil-users] Skencil ---Starts

jbiddier jbiddier at comcast.net
Fri May 19 20:25:29 CEST 2006

jim hamby wrote:
>   Igor and --J
>
>  Thanks for sticking with me!

That's what the group is for.

>  I created the subdirectoies and copied the files around as shown.
> Now Skencil starts.  These messages are left in the parent session.
>  skencil
> shared memory images supported
> Could not load font '-misc-fixed-medium-*-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1' for ruler. using defaults.
> Could not load font '-misc-fixed-medium-*-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1' for ruler. using defaults.
> Could not load font '-misc-fixed-medium-*-*-*-[0 11 ~11 0]-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1' for ruler. using defaults.
>
> I notice something about font setups earlier so I'll look that one up.
>
>  I am a old generic-cad visual-cad user.  Is Skencil similar to either of these??

Good job! You did it. :-). PIL is not easy! It took me some time to
figure it out. Even worse, it is slightly different for Solaris then
Linux. The setup.py script has never worked for me on any platform, so
you are not alone.

The font messages you have (above) are not a big problem. As for the
fonts, you can check out the font doc:

http://home.comcast.net/~sbiddier/fontdoc/

It is not a light read (60+ pages ;-) ), but it will give you all you
need to get your fonts working.
The font error message you got at the command line is on page 44. But
you need to understand the XFLD and fonts.dir first to make the fix.
RedHat uses the ghostscript fonts, so the SuSE example on page 44, may
work for the ruler font (may want to try that first).

Note that the mksfd.py script is on the same page (the SFD files there
are for Solaris only). If you can get CentOS working post it to this list.

Thanks and good luck.

--J