[Skencil-users] fontdoc and skeffects

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sun May 21 17:13:06 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 17. Mai 2006 00:27 schrieb Simon Budig:
> jbiddier (jbiddier at comcast.net) wrote:
> > The font doc is still not complete, but is good enough to post the news.
> >
> > I fixed small errors here and there and added a checking SFD files with
> > the check-skencil-sfd.py script section and fleshed out the ruler font
> > configuration section. I think the document is good enough for use.
> >
> > I have not decided what  license to use yet for the document (I don't
> > want to manage a collaborative doc. I just what to post it and forget it
> > ;-) ). I will figure out the license part when I actually finish the
> > document.
> >
> > The URL (note the "s" in sbiddier):
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~sbiddier/fontdoc/
> >
> > Also, the URL for skEffects (also ready for use):
> >
> > http://home.comcast.net/~jbiddier/skEffects/
>
> Ok, this is probably the wrong thread to complain about this, but this
> is the first time the SFD-files come to my attention.
>
> Can we please, please, please rename the files from SFD to something
> else? SFD is also used as "Spline Font Database" by Fontforge
> (see http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/sfdformat.html ).

I wonder who was there first. ;)

> I'd suggest SFM (Skencil font mapping) or SFI (Skencil font information)
> would be better choices.
>
> Is it too late to change this?

This name is quite old in Skencil code as far as I know.
As Joel has pointed out: It should not be a practical problem
and then there is the 0.7 development series of Skencil that probably will use
another font mechanisms anyway.

If there is a serious practical reason to change the name, I guess it could be
done, if someone does the work. You could enter a request in the tracker
and add the reasons to change the name, so it is not forgotten.

Bernhard R.

--
www.kolab-konsortium.com  Professional Maintenance, Consultancy and Support.