[Skencil-users] sK1 (was: Path Text to curve)

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 15:19:55 CET 2006

Hi Tobias,

First fo all, please note, that sK1 tarball on SourceForge is old summer
preview, therefore it does not contain main features which were implemented
later. Also the tarball contains sK1 runtime enviroment (i.e. tcl/tk 8.5,
Python 2.4.3 sources)  because these packages are not included into current
Linux distributions.

You say there that the development into
> a GTK-application made you fork sK1 from Skencil.

GTK migration wasn't a main fork cause. In 2003 before Orange Revolution
Microsoft initiated in Ukraine hard software legacy inspections across
printing firms and we were forced quickly migrate on Linux. Sketch
0.6.15was selected as a most useful software to substitute CorelDRAW
(ai and cmx
import was a most impotant point). The codebase was slightly extended
(resize, rotate, move dialogs etc.). User interface was adopted to usual
Corel layout: http://sk1.sf.net/screenshots/sk1.png

So, MS is unofficial "sponsor" of sK1 :)

What objections do you have against using GTK, and what makes you think that
> using tile is
> better?

pyGTK is a classic binding, i.e. if you change something on C side, you need
extend C based binding to Python and implement according Python wrapper.
Such modifications are not quick tricks.

Tkinter is a tcl commands translator from Python to Tk library, therefore if
you change something in tk scripts you can quickly extend Python
representation of such changes without recompilation. Scriptable toolkit is
more flexible than compiled C-based widgetset. More over such way does not
create dependecies from Gtk/Gnome or Qt/KDE. We use temporary KDE Open/Save
dialog, but the same manner Gtk dailogs can be used. Also we plan to create
extended custom Tk-based Open/Save dialog which will be similar to
correspond KDE dialog. Ubuntulooks similar theme is also in plans.

Tile allows to construct widget style adding new elements into widgets. You
have full control on widget behavior and representation. Tile and tkpng
extentions (sK1 interface is png-based) allow to create UI which will be
similar to GNOME and KDE applications

Do you see a way to get say full antialiasing of drawing objects
> or fontconfig integration into a tk/tile application?

During last three months following features were implemented:

1. Full CMYK support (not emulation like in Inkscape) as for Sketch canvas
and for output postcripts
     http://sk1.sf.net/screenshots/sk1_cmyk.png - vector drawing is imported
form cmx clipart
     http://sk1.sf.net/screenshots/cmyk.ps  -  printed drawing with CMYK
colorspace
2. Runtime color managment using LittleCMS:
     http://sk1.sf.net/screenshots/sk1_littlecms.png  - this sketch is
processed as "simulate printer on the screen" using default_printer.icc
profile from CorelDRAW 7 installation.
3. XRender support (still unstable) is almost implemented to produce bezier
curves antialiasing:
     http://sk1.sf.net/screenshots/mafinka.png
     http://sk1.sf.net/screenshots/mafinka_contour.png
4. Multidocument interface using tabs (like Firefox :) )
     http://sk1.sf.net/screenshots/sk1_halloween.png
5. FreeType 2 bridge is almost finished  to substitute Skencil
_type1module.so. This allows introducing Unicode based Text object and to
use TrueType, OpenType and PS1 fonts with glyph kerning. Also Text objet is
represented on screen as bezier curve, i.e. Xlib XDrawString() function is
not used, and Text object has outline property. At this moment we try
implementing multiline and multifont Text object propeties.

The main goal of first sK1 release is to arrive functionality level which
will be closely to CoreDRAW 7.

Sincerely,

Igor Novikov
sK1 Team