[Skencil-users] Fwd: Join forces for skencil1/sK1?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 23:49:45 CEST 2007

Howdy,

On 7/12/07, Igor Novikov <igor.e.novikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> 5. sK1 vs Inkscape
>
> Of course sK1 is not useful on this moment.

> Highly important task is multiplatforming, but we already have multiplatform
> engine mock-up which works on *nix, MacOS X and Win32. Unfortunately, this
> task requires almost complete reimplementation of Skencil derived code. We
> hope that the result will be presented on LGM 2008.
>
> So assuming we can say that sK1 has a chance to be better than Inkscape.

LOL.  Yes I suppose you're right.  If you have the resources to
basically rewrite Skencil/sK1 from scratch then there's no question
that it has a chance to be better than Inkscape at some point.  :-)

I spent a few hours myself trying to see if I could de-XLib-ify the
core drawing model parts of Skencil and came to the conclusion it
would be faster to re-implement the things I need from scratch using
Pyrex.  At that point I pretty much lost hope for seeing a
cross-platform Skencil any time soon.  But if you guys are taking on
the challenge of rewriting that stuff then great!  Sounds like you've
already made a lot of headway.

--bb