[Skencil-users] Fwd: Join forces for skencil1/sK1?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jul 18 10:44:24 CEST 2007

Hi Igor,

On Thursday 12 July 2007 11:58, Igor Novikov wrote:
> Sorry for delay in responding - just summer is a vocation season.

no problem, we are slow here often enough.

> There are many issues were discussed therefore I split my answer on several
> points:

I will even split my answer in severl threads.

> 1. "sK1" name vs "Skencil" name.
>
> I think this question is not a main problem of the project. If editor will
> be useful and will have really practical features it will get own users
> community.

I agree that it is not top priority, but I also think it is important
that the three lines are bundled and a name is chosen that people and
former developers can identify with.
I like the "Skencil - Sk1" approach, which is somehow a compromise,
but it makes "Skencil" the main part of course.
On the other hand: Whoever is most active should have the highest weight
in the discussion.

> 2. Community.
>
> On this moment sK1 has own community, predominatingly Russian and Ukrainian
> community. And sK1 related threads on forums even popular than such flames
> as "Gimp vs Photoshop"

This is good to know!

> Note: Russian community accounts "sK1" name more preferable.

This was to be expected because you were active in these circles.
So the question is which drawback to take: Educate the more German/English/US
users that we move the name or the Russion/Ukrainian users.

One argument that I consider having some weight is that "Skencil" is much
more distinctive, so we would avoid name and trademark clashes.
(Check a search engine about "sk1" and "skencil".)

Okay, this is second priority, I will address other issue on another email.

Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)