[Skencil-users] Fwd: Join forces for skencil1/sK1?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jul 18 10:52:08 CEST 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007 11:58, Igor Novikov wrote:
> 2. Project components usage.
>
> Unfortunately, Skencil, and relatively sK1, internal design is unperfect.
> Coding style has no accurate support of MVC pattern.

I think we should get into the technical details on the
development list:
So only a few comments here, please reply to skencil-devel.

> Often people say "Skencil is almost pure Python code", i.e. "some small
> efforts" and we get truly multiplatform editor. But really Skencil has
> 3-language source code: Python, Tcl/Tk and C.

The limitations of Skencil 0.6 line was noticed a few years ago by Bernhard H.
and he started the 0.7 line with the first rewrite step to seperate
the graphical interface. Did you check on the improvements of 0.7?

> We have started working upon this issue in our new project - UniConvertor (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/uniconvertor) which should substitute
> Xara's freezed Uber-Convertor. Project status is mature and current version
> is 1.0RC1.

Interesting, I would put this under the umbrella of the new group
(however it is named).

> (Skencil setup.py is not multiplatform because it uses Python
> universal Makefile but not distutils build system).

Yes I think distutils was not readily available when Skencil's build system
was constructed.

> 5. sK1 vs Inkscape
>
> Of course sK1 is not useful on this moment. The most problematic issue is a
> fonts handling. Also inherited Skencil document model is unperfect.

The attempt to remedy the font problem was Skencil 0.7.
If you write it is not useful, how useful is it compared to Skencil 0.6 (which
is quite useful, though it of course has a lot of limitations).

> Highly important task is multiplatforming, but we already have
> multiplatform engine mock-up which works on *nix, MacOS X and Win32.
> Unfortunately, this task requires almost complete reimplementation of
> Skencil derived code. We hope that the result will be presented on LGM
> 2008.

Are you developing this in the open?

In your last email you did not address the question of infrastructue,
I must say that I do not like sourceforge a lot because of the massive use
of advertisment and that it is not Free Software.

Best,

Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)