[Skencil-users] Skencil not working

phil phillip.watts at anvilcom.com
Thu Jul 19 04:03:14 CEST 2007

I am not completely non technical, I was a software developer
for 20 years.  Lots of C and Python and Linux.

Now I am a high school math teacher and love to lecture from
a wacom tablet.
Gimp is OK.  So is inkscape.  But I would love to try Skencil,
which is pythonish.  But can't get it to work.

I run Kubuntu feisty.  The binary install from apt-get gave me seg fault when
I ran Skencil.
Downloaded the latest source.
setup.py configure complained it could not find tcl/tk8.4
I finally harcoded the script to /usr/lib/tk8.4 and it worked.

Then build failed trying to include tk headers. Installed those.
Then build failed trying to include XShm.h.
So I defined that out.  Then it failed on something else.

Gave up, wiped all Skencil from my disk and tried apt-get again
(a month later).  Still seg faults.

Can anyone help?  Thanks