[Skencil-users] Fwd: Join forces for skencil1/sK1?

Tobias Hilbricht hilbricht at linopus.de
Fri Jun 22 12:20:46 CEST 2007

Am Freitag, den 22.06.2007, 09:27 +0900 schrieb Bill Baxter:

>         Well it would be cool if we could target windows as well as
>         GNU/Linux
>         and X11 running plattform and even MacOS-X.
>
> There's no good reason to arbitrarily cut off 80% of the potential
> users in the world by being Linux-only.

This is very true.

> Hmm.  I'm a beginner at both, but to me Inkscape is much more usable
> than Skencil right now.

Inkscape is slower and more instable compared to Skencil. Additionally,
Skencil has the skLaTeX-plugin, which brings the LaTeX typesetting
capabilities into Skencil, which is another point why I prefer Skencil
over Inkscape.

> I found it very easy to use (and install) Inkscape.

As far as installation is concerned I agree. As far as non-skLaTeX-Text
and font installation is concerned, I also agree that using Inkscape is
easier to use. But drawing and manipulating paths I like better in
Skencil.

> Inkscape lots of features, pluggable script extensions

Skencil gets a lot of additional features using pluggins, too!

> pretty many decent tutorials available

This is also true for Skencil, to my knowledge in English, French and
German.

> Uses GTK just like Skencil (so unfortunately both look equally ugly
> and alien on Windows and Mac).

I am referring to Skencil 0.6.17, which uses tk. The look of the GUI is
not an important aspect to me. More important are installation,
usability (including antialiasing) and prepress capability, and I see
big improvements there with sK1 due to Igors work.

> Quite a few of the Inkscape contributors come from the Windows world
> (including me -- I've already made a couple of contributions to
> Inkscape now, developed on Windows).
>
> Anyway, just my outsider's opinion.

If you have contributed to Inkscape already, then you are neither
beginner nor outsider.

> Inkscape is most definitely head-to-head with Skencil, so I don't
> think you should ignore it.  You should study it.  See what you can
> learn from it.

I think Igor is moving in the right direction. But I agree with you that
Skencil is a better name than sK1.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht