[Skencil-users] sklatex Mac Os?

jab jbiddier at comcast.net
Thu May 3 05:18:24 CEST 2007

"It is creating tmp files in ~/.skLaTeX and the postscript is
fine. I don't know what the problem might be--or how to
diagnose it..."

This means that Latex and DVIPS are most likely OK. Thus the problem
could be somewhere between pstoedit/ghostscript (assuming that DVIPS's
PS output is OK).

I do know from the past that some Latex/DVIPS output would choke
pstoedit, but that was teTeX 1.0. Also some versions of pstoedit had
problems, but not the version you are using (3.44). Have not idea about
GS 8.5x (I have only tested GS 7.x and 8.1x.)

I assume you are using teTeX 2.x or 3.0, which seem to work with
pstoedit 3.44 (AFAIK).

HERE'S HOW TO TROUBLE SHOOT:

First test if all the dependencies apps are OK.
Take the latex code you put in the sklatex editor and put it in a test
file on your Mac box.

Then test each stage sklatex takes to make a .sk file at the command
line.

Start here (you can use the name "test.tex"):

1. To test tetex:
latex latexFileName

This will produce a .dvi file (use xdvi to see if it is OK.)

2. To test DVIPS:
dvips -q -f -E -D 600 -y 5000 -o psFileName dviFileName

This will produce a .ps file (use GV or Ghostview to see if it is OK.)

3. To test pstoedit:
pstoedit -f sk -dt -ssp psFileName skFileName

This will produce a .sk file (use Skencil to see if it is OK. Note the
image will be very large.)

If you get error signs, at any stage, then that is most likely where the
error is (assuming sklatex is fine.)

If each stage goes right and the end .sk files can be read by Skencil,
then it is a sklatex problem. Perhaps sklatex and python or PIL is the
problem.

I'll provide more help if this fails to get an answer.

Note that I am working on a project, so I don't have sklatex or Skencil
up on my new Sun development box.

(Also for all in group, I have moved from SuSE to Ubuntu and thus no
longer support the SuSE RPMs - for I don't have a single SuSE box around
anymore. I will keep the current RPMS on the site.)

Thanks.