[Skencil-users] An old question revisited: Skencil as library / SVG support

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Mar 19 20:13:07 CET 2008

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2008 06:30, Terry Hancock wrote:
>> So... here's the question again: what's the best code to start with in
>> order to get a Skencil-based graphics library for use from Python
>> program? Should I work with the Skencil sources or the sk1 sources, for
>> example? Or should I look somewhere else entirely?
>
> Good question. I don't know.
> I guess if you are using Skenicl, try the 0.7 sources from svn.
> My wild guess it that it will be reasonable to seperate a library out of this.

Actually, a related question might be "is this what Cairo is for?" I
have to admit I'm still a little vague on what Cairo is. I notice that
the history on the sk1 project says it uses a "cairo-based" engine. Does
that mean that most of the core Skencil engine has been removed from it?
It also mentions a different GUI front-end. Which raises the question of
what it shares with Skencil?

Maybe I shouldn't really be relying on the Skencil engine internally?

I could try to create Cairo-based internal graphics processing and then
just target the results to Skencil or SVG or whatever as part of the
adaptation in a plugin.

What I'm working on is going to need to:

1) Extract graphical content from the selection in the working document
2) Optionally archive that content in a library
3) Generate new content based on library contents & selected content
4) Insert new content into the working document

It's complicated enough that I decided to write it with its own separate
GUI (PyGTK based). So when you launch it, it will launch its own window.

That's why I think it might be possible or worthwhile to adapt it as a
plugin to more than one program -- presumably there'd be a relatively
small piece of adaptation code (the actual plugin), communicating with a
larger application running in another process.

Obviously, I haven't worked out all the details.

Cheers,
Terry