[Winpt-users] Various errors/bugs from attempt to decrypt a file encrypted w/o my key

DAVID GAMEY david.gamey at rogers.com
Wed Nov 2 17:44:58 CET 2005

I recently ran into a odd set of circumstances and
errors  during a correspondance.

A contact using PGP version 8.1 sent me an encrypted
and signed attachment.  As I understand it he went to
encrypt to my key (and also his so he could show later
what he sent).  Apparently, he selected but did not
confirm my key, so it went under just his key.

I have gpg/winpt 1.4.2/0.10.1.

I could not verify the signature.  And when I tried to
decrypt the file, I saw an invalid packet error.  The
key manager window would no longer open (previously
reported phantom window problem).

A reboot is not sufficient to correct the problem.
A reinstall of WinPT and reboot was needed to get the
Key Manager window back.

Another attempt to decrypt the file, resulted in a
missing secret key message for a key ID that I did not
recognize.  The KM phantom window problem returned.

The file was reencrypted, resent, and correctly
decrypted.

Another reinstall will be needed to fix the phantom
window problem.

It would seem that trying to decrypt a file not sent
to you will result in the KM becoming unavailable.

Thanks,

David