[Winpt-users] Various errors/bugs from attempt to decrypt a file encrypted w/o my key

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Wed Nov 2 19:21:09 CET 2005

On Wed Nov 02 2005; 11:44, DAVID GAMEY wrote:

> A contact using PGP version 8.1 sent me an encrypted
> and signed attachment.  As I understand it he went to

GPG should be compatible with PGP8 and thus WinPT should have
no problems to decrypt/verify data. When I find somebody with PGP8,
I will provide some tests.

> I could not verify the signature.  And when I tried to

What does this exactly means? Because the key was missing? Because
the signature (text) was broken?

> decrypt the file, I saw an invalid packet error.  The
> key manager window would no longer open (previously

This is interesting. Maybe you can try with the new beta version.
Just make sure that you disabled the word-wrap feature.

> Another attempt to decrypt the file, resulted in a
> missing secret key message for a key ID that I did not
> recognize.  The KM phantom window problem returned.
[snip]
> Another reinstall will be needed to fix the phantom
> window problem.

I never heard of such a problem. Usually all bugs are no problem
when you quit the program and start it again.

I would suggest to updat to the latest beta at Wald and try again.

        Timo

p.s.
I did not find the time to release 0.10.5-beta, but I will do it in
the next days.