[Winpt-users] Long passphrase pb with WinPT 1.0.0 and solution

Raphael PRECIGOUT raphael.precigout at karinet.com
Fri Aug 11 02:01:10 CEST 2006

Timo,

my long passphrase (59 characters) still doesn't work for me with WinPT
1.0.0 GPG 1.4.5 on Win XP Pro SP2.
9 chars long passphrase are OK

Found a solution (and a possible hint) :
when trying to set the same passphrase on another key with WinPT, I have
the following message : "The passphrase contains 8-bit characters. It is
not suggested to use charset specific characters. Continue ?" Answered
Yes, repeated the passphrase again. Passphrase changed successfully.
 From now on the long passphrase is working fine with WinPT 1.0.0
(final) GPG 1.4.5
Back to my production key use winpt pre0 to change the passphrase to a
dummy one like foobarbaz. Load winpt 1.0.0, change the passphrase again
to my previous passphrase.

The only problem is that my long passphrase set with winpt 1.0.0 doesn't
work anymore with winpt 1.0.0pre0. Well I will have to update my
binaries on other computers to the last release of winpt (1.0.0 for all)

Regards,
Raphaël