[Winpt-users] Consolidation, Differences, Overlap in Features, ETC......

Juan Ignacio Gaviria gaviria at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 5 16:41:24 CET 2006

Alan:

I share your thoughts about overlapping features in the programs included in
the gpg4win project.  This is rather confusing.

I had the opportunity to use what I think was the first WinPT installer,
along with the GPGOE plugin (for Outlook Express).  Sure, there were some
glitches in installing and configuring, but everything I needed semed to be
there (even a fairly good spanish *.mo).

Then I tried the GnuPT installer which included GPGrelay.  The installer
worked fine.  I went through all the steps and configured a Gmail account to
work with GPGrelay from inside Outlook Express and to smoothly accomodate my
SpamPal and Avast! requisites.  I had to use Stunnel and Open SSL.  It works
fine but I still keep my GPGOE plugin working and, frankly, I like this one
better.

Finally, I downloaded the installer for the gpg4win project, for my office
computer, whose hard disk had been formatted.  No problems with the
instalation process, but there is plenty of redundant features with dictinct
interfaces which I do not think I need.  I uninstalled it and went back to
the GnuPt install program.

So, to tell you the truth, I am for a consolidation process, taking WinPT as
the "axis" and certainly I am for taking GPGOE development out of the
freezer.

There is more:  I do not know if I am talking nonsense but I think that
Installing is required because some entries must be written to Windows'
registry.  If this could be avoided we would be able to use straight from a
memory stick (pendrive). That would be very nice, Timo.

Cheers!

Juan Ignacio Gaviria
Isla Margarita
Venezuela