[Winpt-users] Consolidation, Differences, Overlap in Features, ETC......

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Sun Feb 5 18:07:34 CET 2006

On Sat Feb 04 2006; 21:22, Alan Jones wrote:

> I have long been following WinPT http://www.winpt.org .  I have always
> liked the interface, features etc.  The only thing I felt was missing
> was in installer for people that were not comfortable with zipping and

GnuPT exists for a long time and now GPG4win also provides a convenient
way to use an installer to skip the manual steps.

> http://www.g10code.de/p-gpgol.html but have not actually tried GPGol yet
> as there was not a good installer and it seemed like it was still under
> heavy development.

Indeed it is under development. But the recent versions seem to work
with Outlook 2003 (SP2).

> packages and others.  I am not clear what the current status of it is...
> Is it stable, usable, creating appropriate icons and system entries?

It is just the installing system for GPG Windows "Programs". Programs
in this case mean, programs that use GPG (frontends, explorer extension
plugins, ...).

> I don't know much about the gpg4win project, but I hope the installer
> gives a good brief description of each program  and allows the user to
> chose if they want to install all or a subset of the programs.

Yes.

> There seems to be a fair amount of overlap in features between all the
> programs part of the gpg4win project.  Can anyone delve into the details
> of what and why certain programs made it into the project and

Currently GPG4win includes these packages:
Sylpheed - GPG (PGP/MIME aware) mailer
GPGol   - Outlook plugin
GPG     - Core program
GPA	- Key manager
WinPT	- GPG front-end
GPGee	- Explorer extension

> The old installer that some used had GPGRelay, but I did not see that
> included. Why is that?
> http://sites.inka.de/tesla/gpgrelay.html

For such questions, please use the gpg4win mailing lists.

> benifical to the user and devlopers if the same Key Manager (and other
> common areas) use the same code.  So that WinPT, GPGol, GPA, GPGee, etc
> all used the same common code and interface.

A good idea but it would involve a lot of work and a central project
management. In the past the Windows Privacy Tools tried to solve
some problems but due to missing time of the members the project
was frozen.

> I know it may be out of the scope for some but it might be nice if the
> gpg4win installer also came with Enigmail http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
> the Thunderbird GNUpg interface.

For general gpg4win questions (recommendations, feedback, ...) please
use the forum and the mailing lists hosted at wald.intevation.org.

I hope I could at least (partly) answer some questions.

  Timo