[Winpt-users] GPGol part of Gpg4win

Alan Jones alan at ajsquared.us
Mon Mar 13 03:48:55 CET 2006

Timo Schulz wrote:
> On Sun Mar 12 2006; 13:51, Alan Jones wrote:
>
>> I checked and Outlook says the "Open GPG Key Manger Icon is there and
>> that is it.
>>

> If you create a new mail, in this dialog 2 new icons _should_
> be available.
>
>> When writing a message I don't see any new icons or menu entries in the
>> compose window for singing a message.
>>

> That's weird. Even the menu entries are not visible?

Correct no menu entries no icons...

>> When opening an individual message and reading there is a new entry
>> Tools -> Decrypt and verify message  along with an associated icon.
>>

> The same should happen for 'New Mail', except the icons are different.

for incoming mail just one icon for Decrypt and verify and that is it..

>> I have sent myself a few test messages from Thunderbird using Enigmail
>> to Outlook and Outlook is not able to verify the message, even though
>>

> What exact Outlook version do you have? Did you apply any Service Packs?
> GPGol needs at least SP2 (and 2003).

Outlook 2003 with SP1 not SP2.   I will try and upgrading Outlook and
try again.

It would be nice if this GPGol could work for both Outlook XP & 2003
with most any service pack.

>> Thunderbird + Enigmail.  They have an easy set of icons, configuration
>> options, etc.   Click, do you want to sign, encrypt, use  PGP/MIME etc?
>>

> I'm familiar with the mailer+extension and GPGol should work likewise.
> The problem is that Outlook is sometimes "intractable". That's why you
> need to install at least SP2.

There also seemed to be a few more nice options in Enigmail and that was
some of my interest.

>> Are you working on any new features, fixes that might land in the near
>> future for GPGol?
>>

> I currently do not maintain the project. If you use Outlook >= 2003
> (SP2) and the problems still exist, it might be a good idea to
> fill out a bug report at bugs.gnupg.org (gpgol).

Will do... Who is maintaining the project these days or is it orphaned?

I looked but never saw a mailing list or discussion group around GPGol.
I have been getting worried that I maybe one of just a few using GPGol.

>> thanks for the feedback and willingness to work with me on this.
>>

> No problem. When my time permits it, I always try to help.

thanks Again