[Winpt-users] GnuPG 2.0 for Win32

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Thu Nov 30 09:28:34 CET 2006

Randy H. Tjahjono wrote:

> Does anyone know if a binary for Win32 is going to be made available for version 2.0?

IMHO, not in the next time.

Werner said something about it on the gnupg-users mailing list. So you
could visit the archive to find it. Sorry, I don't have an URL right now.

Of course gpg 2.0 has a lot of new features, but also bear in mind that
there are not much Windows programs which would use them. Even WinPT
cannot use the S/MIME functions without adjusting parts of the code.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would say that there is no reason for most
Windows(!) people to change to gpg 2.0 in the next time. gpg 1.4.x
provides all kind of functions which are needed to provide secure email
communication and data encryption. When somebody is *forced* to use
S/MIME or a PKCS.11/X.509 based smartcard things are different.

	Timo