[Winpt-users] where Is The PASSPHRASE STORED

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Thu Oct 26 09:21:52 CEST 2006

Vineet Madan wrote:

> how else does the verification says bad passphrase where does it check or
> what does it check to come to conlusion of accepting the passphrase or

I've to admit that I'm confused a little.

Do you talk about a file/email which were encrypted+signed? Otherwise
it does not make any sense because the verify process does not need
any passphrase.

> Can u please put some highlight on this

If my mails don't clarify the situation, I guess it would be the best
to start again with a detailled description of the problem and all kind
of logging and exact error messages.

And again, because Windows has no real secure memory, the passphrase
is stored in normal memory. And yes, I'm aware of VirtualLock() and
friends, but there are problems with the function. For details,
there was a discussion on gnupg-users some time ago.

	Timo