[Winpt-users] Winpt-users Digest, Vol 13, Issue 1

Timo Schulz twoaday at gmx.net
Thu Oct 26 09:15:41 CEST 2006

Vineet Madan wrote:

> the passphrase is stored where in memory. can any body access that
> memory to extract my passphrase.

Is this a question? If you disable the passphrase cache, it is
just hold temporary for the operation.

> so can that memory be accessed by me too to see my passphrase if i forget
> it...

No. The passphrase will be only cached when WinPT is _running_ and
the feature is _enabled_. And even then you have to enter it once
to enable caching. IF you quit WinPt, the cache will be flushed
(deleted). So if you forget the passphrase, it's gone.

! This is why anybody should generate a key revocation certificate
   right after the key generation and store it on a safe place.
   *If* you lost your secret key/passphrase/something similiar
   you can import the revoc cert and make the entire key unuseable.
   Of course you need to send it to a key server then to spread the key. !

	Timo