hg Module renaming

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue May 13 14:56:43 CEST 2014

Hi friends of the D4E development! :)

Now that we have the new webpage up, I think we should also
complete add some simple descriptions for the hg repositories.

As you can see here https://wald.intevation.org/scm/?group_id=57
or https://scm.wald.intevation.org/hg  we have

dive4elements/framework
dive4elements/gnv-client
dive4elements/http-client
dive4elements/river
dive4elements/website	dive4elements www-site

(I've already filed
http://wald.intevation.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=6531 (Mercurial
hg serving links wrong in multi repo entries) to improve the wald page.

Here are the old remarks:

On Wednesday 08 May 2013 at 10:35:30, Sascha L. Teichmann wrote:
> On 07.05.2013 16:21, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 7. Mai 2013 15:01:34 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> >> last week we have renamed our source code repositories to match
> >> the Dive4Elements name. We now have:
> >
> > Here are my suggestions for the module descriptions. Sascha,
> > Raimund, Felix: What do you think?
> >
> > framework   transaction server, 2nd generation
> > gnv-client  1st  generation, server side of
> >   non-async webclient
> > http-client server side of async webclient, rest, 2nd generation
> > river       smart-gwt webclient, for rivers (Hydrology, Morphology),
> >    2nd gen
>
> Okay, some remarks.

Most of your remarks are suggestion reorganisation,
I suggest we separate it from finding names that are appropriate now
and discuss reorganisation later.  :)

> - http-client should be moved into the framework because it is basic
>   infrastructure needed by by all D4E incarnations.
>
>   I have not done this yet to avoid breakage of our current
>   build/release process. Furthermore I need some advise from
>   our local mercurial heros to move the history of the top level
>   repo into the framework one.

Did you seek that advice meanwhile?

>   It would come with the pro that we only need to check out two
>   repos instead of three to build D4E river.
>
> - gnv-client is only one part of the first gen stuff.
>
>   The gnv-artifacts and the gnv-backend are not yet converted
>   to mercurial ... they still hog in the old subversion which
>   is only accessible inside Intevation.
>
>   To solve this I suggest to create a new top level repo named
>   'ocean' and move the gnv-artifacts to ocean/artifacts,
>   gnv-backend to ocean/backend and gnv-client to ocean/struts-client.
>   This will improve the symmetry of the two incarnations.

Fine with me, I also believe we should publish this, if we can.

>   We still have to decide how the massive renaming done in framework
>   should lead to changes in the first gen ocean stuff.
>   Using tip of all repos will currently result in build failures
>   in the old stuff.

I think it would be acceptable if you need to check out a special tag
of "framework" to buld the 1nd generation stuff needed for the current Ocean
client.

Okay, let me suggest new descriptions based on your feedback:

dive4elements/framework    transaction server, base services
dive4elements/http-client  basic client
dive4elements/river
	smart-gwt webclient and models for rivers

dive4elements/gnv-client
	static 1st gen webclient for oceans

Can you suggest better ones to use now (before reorganisations)?

Best,

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner