[Gpg4win-announce] Upcoming Forum Transfer

Christoph Klassen christoph.klassen at intevation.de
Wed Aug 2 14:16:24 CEST 2023

Hello!

For nearly 15 years, Wald
(https://wald.intevation.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=21&group_id=11)
served the worldwide Gpg4win-community as a forum. Now, more than 2000
threads later, it is time for Gpg4win to make a big step forward in
supporting the community and providing the Gpg4win-community with a
modern community software.

The new forum software will be Discourse to give you a better
experience. It offers improved usability, a responsive design and some
helpful features such as liking posts, upvoting threads, mailing list
mode and more. Furthermore, it is used by many communities and tested
thoroughly so it's also very stable.

For the hosting of the new forum, we chose the company Communiteq. They
are offering servers in the EU and thereby fulfill our privacy
requirements. Not only has Communiteq an excellent price-performance
ratio, but it also participates in the development of Discourse. This
way, we can commit more resources to improve Gpg4win and at the same
time support Free Software.

When we will transfer the forum all posts will be moved from the old to
the new forum. Passwords will not be transfered for security reasons,
please reset the password in the new forum to get a new one. When it
comes to the accounts we decided to clean up a little bit and only
transfer users whose account is relatively new or had some more activity.
More precisely, we transfer accounts that created
* at least one post in 2023
* more than 5 posts since 2021-01-01
* more than 10 posts since 2018-01-01 and at least one since 2021-01-01

On 2023-08-03 at 07:00 AM UTC
(https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Forum+Migration&iso=20230803T07&p1=1440)
we will start the transfer. It will take about 2 days. Afterwards, the
Gpg4win forum will be located at https://forum.gnupg.org/

After the transfer, we will shutdown the old Gpg4win-forum on
wald.intevation.org and notify you here on this mailing list that the
new forum is ready.

Thank you for your support!
Your Gpg4win Support Team

--
Christoph Klassen | https://intevation.de
Geschäftsführer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter