[Gpg4win-devel] gpg4win 0.6.0 released

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 26 14:14:16 CET 2006

Hi!

I have prepared a new release of gpg4win.  To build an installer get
the files below from http://wald.intevation.ogr/projects/gpg4win :

  gpg4win-0.6.0.tar.bz2 (4.0M)
  gpg4win-0.6.0.tar.bz2.sig

I also created installers featuring gnupg, gpa, winpt, gpgol, gpgee,
sylpheedand the Einsteiger manual..  They are available at:

  ftp://ftp.gpg4win.org/gpg4win/gpg4win-0.6.0.exe  (6.9M)
  ftp://ftp.gpg4win.org/gpg4win/gpg4win-0.6.0.exe.sig

  ftp://ftp.gpg4win.org/gpg4win/gpg4win-src-0.6.0.exe  (40M)
  ftp://ftp.gpg4win.org/gpg4win/gpg4win-src-0.6.0.exe.sig

It usually does not make sense to download the source installers
(gpgwin-src-*.exe); they are on the ftp server to satisfy the
conditions of the GPL.  In general it is better to get the gpg4win
tarball and follow the instructions in the README to build new
installers; building the installer is not possible on Windows machines
and works best on current Debian GNU/Linux systems (we actually use
the mingw32 package from Sid).

Noteworthy changes in version 0.6.0 (2006-01-26)

 * The location where to install gpg4win may now be changed.

 * Cosmetic changes

 * Finished Einsteiger manual

A new README files gets installed to list all used package versions;
there will eventually be more content for this file.

We have reports that decryption works really slow on some fast(!)
machines.  If you experience this you may play with a new Registry
setting: Create HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\gpgme and add a string
value named "IOThreadPriority".  Then try the values -2, -1, 0 and 1
(without this Registry Entry a default of 2 is used).  This effects
GPGol and WinPT.

It took me about 3 hours to create this release including repository
handling, actual creation, signing, cursory tests of the final
installer, uploading and announcement.  I have not tracked the time to
fix all the little bugs and to maintain the bug list.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>