[Gpg4win-devel] Tex/LaTex Viewers?

Marcus Brinkmann marcus.brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Jan 22 18:19:35 CET 2007

At Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:19:14 +0100,
"Michael W. Lewis" <michael at lewis.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know of a decent GUI for viewing source Tex/LaTex files and then
> the typeset result? (generating DVI and then viewing that?).
>
> Either MS or Linux platform.

1) For Windows, TeXnikCenter seems pretty decent, it is free software.
   It works with the MiKTeX distribution of TeX, which should be
   installed first.

   http://www.miktex.org/

   http://www.texniccenter.org/home.0.html

2) For either Windows or GNU/Linux, my personal editor of choice is
   Emacs with AucTeX.  It's part of every GNU/Linux distribution.

   To put it bluntly, emacs+auctex beats the crap out of everything
   else, but it requires an effort to enable this power.  For a
   beginner, this can be a steep learning curve, and it is mostly not
   a GUI environment.

There are many more, but either of the above options should do, and
the other options seem strictly inferior.

Thanks,
Marcus